The recent completion of our 2000th journey for our local NHS in Derbyshire was a cause for celebration, it also signified another phenomenal increase in the demands on our FREE volunteer-led charity service. That’s good news for our enthusiastic motorcycling volunteers, but it also means our fundraising has to keep pace with the extra mileage.
Some of our journeys are made locally within a few miles of the City of Derby, such as;
- our regular service from London Road Community Hospital to the Royal Derby Hospital
- deliveries to many of the Health Centres across the City and Amber Valley, Erewash and South Derbyshire
- deliveries of vital daily medication to patients at home generally within 20 miles of the Royal Derby Hospital
- Transfers of diagnostic samples equipment or other supplies between Hospitals within the Burton and Derby Hospitals Trust group and the Chesterfield Royal Hospital
But over half of our journeys go much further;
- diagnostic samples to NHS facilities in Birmingham, Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, Bristol or London
- blood samples to NHS Blood and Transplant in Sheffield, Leeds, Birmingham or Bristol
We also support the charity ‘Fighting Prostate Cancer’ who carry out prostate screening clinics across the UK, transferring their PSA samples to the testing facilities in Burton Hospital.
Together, these service will see us travel close to 100,000 miles in 2019, saving the NHS around £90,000 in transport costs.
But were not content there….
In 2020 we hope to see…
More volunteers. More fundraising events and opportunities and expanded services, with services to more parts of the NHS in Derbyshire.